Federal Member for Parkes, Mark Coulton today welcomed the activation of disaster assistance for local communities following recent storms and flooding in July.
Assistance is being provided to the Bogan, Coonamble, Narromine and Warren regions through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
Mr Coulton said he is dedicated to ensuring that the residents across affected parts of Western NSW get back on their feet as soon as possible.
“Sadly there are many residents across the federal electorate of Parkes who know all too well the devastation and grief that comes with natural disasters such as flooding,” Mr Coulton said.
“Natural disasters can have an enormous impact on our economy and can cripple local businesses and communities.”
A range of assistance is available including:
• Help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged;
• Support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets;
• Concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and not-for-profit organisations;
• Freight subsidies for primary producers; and
• Grants to not-for-profit organisations including local sporting clubs.
Minister Keenan said nothing is more important than helping those hardest hit recover from natural disasters.
“Natural disasters such as floods can have severe consequences for communities and essential public infrastructure,” Minister Keenan said.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates the commitment of the Australian and New South Wales governments to support disaster affected communities.”
For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, including advice on eligibility, please contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444. To apply for a concessional loan, grant or freight subsidy, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit raa.nsw.gov.au.
Mark Coulton: Amy Welham 0448 477 830
Minister Keenan: Jacqueline Byrde 0418 228 407