Election results formally declared
On Thursday I was pleased to officially be declared the Member for Parkes, for the sixth consecutive time, by the Australian Electoral Commission.
As I have said on many occasions, it is an incredible honour to represent this diverse, productive and vibrant area of our country in the Federal Parliament.
Once again, I would like to thank the voters for their trust in me, and my family, staff and the volunteers whose efforts have assisted me in so many ways over the past fifteen years. I will continue to work hard to stand up for everyone in the Parkes electorate, in this job that I am very privileged to have.
Upgrades to the Newell Highway
Parts of the Newell Highway are set to be upgraded thanks to a $1.7 billion partnership between the Federal and NSW Governments.
Up to 40 new overtaking lanes and road safety improvements will be delivered along the highway, with work on six overtaking lanes across three sites between Coonabarabran and Narrabri beginning this month.
An upgrade to the Newell Highway-Oxley Highway intersection is also in the works to improve safety and traffic flow, especially for heavy vehicles.
As someone who regularly travels along this road, I know what a difference these new overtaking lanes and safety improvements will make to motorists travelling in this part of the state.
The strong working relationship between the former Federal Coalition Government and the NSW Government has ensured these upgrades can progress. A total of $60 million dollars from the Federal Government will go towards the new overtaking lanes, while $32 million has been committed from the Federal Government for upgrades to the Newell Highway-Oxley Highway intersection.
Further information about these projects can be found on the Transport for NSW website.
Queen’s Birthday 2022 Honours List
The Queen’s Birthday Honours list has this year recognised 992 Australians, including nine extraordinary people from the Parkes electorate:
- The Hon. John Anderson AO (Mullaley), who was appointed Companion (AC) in the General Division for his eminent service to rural and regional development, his leadership in international agricultural research and his contributions to not-for-profit organisations.
- Anne Kennedy (Coonamble), who was appointed Member (AM) in the General Division in recognition of her service to water conservation and her community.
- Rory Treweeke (Angledool), who was appointed Member (AM) in the General Division for his service to the rural community of New South Wales.
- Richard Carney (Broken Hill), who was appointed Medal (OAM) in the General Division for his service to the Broken Hill community.
- Michael White (Dubbo), who was appointed Medal (OAM) in the General Division for his service to youth and his community.
- Assistant Commissioner Brett Greentree (NSW Police Force – Western Region Commander), who was awarded the Australian Police Medal (APM).
- Detective Sergeant Mark Meredith OAM (NSW Police Force – Orana Mid-Western Police District), who was awarded the Australian Police Medal (APM).
- Detective Chief Inspector Brett Smith (NSW Police Force – Western Region), who was awarded the Australian Police Medal (APM).
- Barry Whalan (Dubbo), who was awarded the Australian Fire Service Medal (AFSM).
I would like to congratulate each of these selfless individuals on receiving this incredible honour. Your commitment to your respective communities is what makes the Parkes electorate such a great place to live; you should all be very proud.
Further information about this year’s Queen’s Birthday Honours List can be found on the Governor-General’s website.